Chemists in Chemical Industry: Roles, Responsibilities and Opportunities
Chemists are involved in the hugely diverse field of industries across chemical enterprise. However, the chemistry graduates at all levels, do not have a good understanding of where the opportunities are and the roles they can play in this complex and challenging world. Globalization and its impact on the supply chain and job market are not well understood.
– Value and Supply Chain in Chemical enterprise
– New product development process (Stage-gate process)
– Scale-up and Process Development
– Process Economics and Intellectual Property
– Product and Process Safety and Hazard Analysis
– Green Chemistry and Engineering
– Life Cycle Assessment
– Product registration
Chemists are involved in the hugely diverse field of industries across chemical enterprise. However, the chemistry graduates at all levels, do not have a good understanding of where the opportunities are and the roles they can play in this complex and challenging world. Globalization and its impact on the supply chain and job market are not well understood. The instructor has years of experience in academia, industry, development of new products and processes, recruiting, and mentoring.
Who Should Attend
Graduate students, postdocs, new hires in the Chemical Industry, meaning any industry that deals with research, development, manufacturing, production, formulation, and marketing chemical products. This course will give participants a broad understanding of challenges, opportunities and new trends in the industry.
– Understand the supply and value chains and globalization
– Find the right job and opportunity for their expertise and interests
– Maximize your value and contribution
– Sustain and secure your position in industry by understanding the dynamics of the business
– Direct your knowledge and background to the right job and maximizing your creative contributions
– Become educated in new trends in the chemical industry: globalization, sustainability, green chemistry and engineering
– Job opportunities in: application development, formulation, customer technical service, sales, marketing, regulatory, supply chain, economic evaluation, etc.
- Brief history of chemical industry, supply and value chains, globalization, and current state of the industry.
- Invention & Innovation Process
- Product and technology life cycles, Innovation strategies, Innovation and new product development process.
- Research & Development and how to create and lead new R&D projects
- Idea generation & Proof of Concept Stage
- Critical success factors for Development Stage: Market and Technology attractiveness, Manufacturing assessment, Process economics, Safety, Health & Environment, Regulatory and registration, and Intellectual Property
- Chemical process economics
- Material balance & Utilization, cycle time, isolation, purification, and waste handling
- Parameters affecting process economics & how to use process economics for planning Development Stage
- Scale-up and Process Development
- Most expensive and challenging stage and how to put it all together
- What is needed for building a strong business case for your project:
- Intellectual Property and patent
- Product strategic fit and specifications
- Manufacturing plan and resource fit
- Regulatory, registration, and sustainability
- Competitive analysis, project economics, and overall risk assessment
- Sustainability & Life Cycle Inventory analysis
- The eight Grand Sustainability Challenges
- Green Chemistry and Engineering principles
- Green Metrics implementation and their impact on the “bottom-line”
- Functions of industrial chemists
- Research & Development: new product, process, formulation, & use
- Application development
- Customer technical support and post production support
- Manufacturing support and trouble shooting
- Custom synthesis and manufacturing
- Analytical and physical measurement
- Patent support
- Supply chain
- Product registration and regulatory
- Management and leadership
- Open discussion and closure.
Check-in opens at 7:30 a.m. on the first day of the course.
Course runs from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day.Register Online Register Via Mail
The course fee includes a course binder and a continental breakfast each day.
Five for Four! Register five people for one course, one person for five courses, or any combination in between and your fifth registration is free. Note: This discount is only available if you register by fax, mail or phone and mention this discount and may not be combined with any other offer.
About the Instructor
Dr Mahmood Sabahi
Research and Development executive with more than 22 years of experience in industrial R & D and 10 years of experience in teaching and research in academia.