Due to increasing environmental concerns related to consumer products, and the demand for novel materials with sophisticated properties in the medical industry, the global biopolymers market has been rapidly growing. Even the considerably developed market segments such as starch-based and Poly(Lactic Acid) (PLA) are poised for higher growth due to the increasing demand and the technological advancement made in terms of its production and enhancing properties.
This highly interactive cohort will explore the science and business of Biopolymers. Top academic and industry experts in the fields of commodity plastics, medical applications, and additives, will provide you with a global view of the most current issues surrounding biopolymer science and business development, as well as with a detailed understanding of the most relevant chemistry processes.
2014 Dates Just Announced
April 7 - 28
Introduction to BiopolymersRegister Now
$995 For ACS Members
$995 For Non-ACS Members.
Join our Mailing List
Don't miss out on the chance to participate in this innovative new program. We will launch the full program in May and you must join our mailing to be eligible to receive a special offer of introductory pricing for our 2014 program. You will also receive updates on new Subject Matter Experts and get sneak peeks of new learning elements. You can opt-out at any time and we don't sell your name to other organizations.
Who Should Attend
In this beta session, we are very interested in ensuring that we have representation of our key customer profiles. These include:
- Early to mid-career polymer chemists currently working in a traditional plastics field or food science.
- Early to mid-career organic chemists currently working in development of healthcare related products
- Mid-career chemist currently working with biopolymers
- Early to mid-career chemist, food scientist, or biochemist currently working with polymers, but not working with biopolymers (in other words, having little experience in this field)
If you fall into one of these profiles, the Beta cohort could be available to you at a significant price reduction!
Spotlight on: Content Topics
This cohort will cover such intriguing topics as scientific and business issues surrounding bio-based versus petroleum based polymers, biodegradability, explore a variety of synthesis processes, production options, scale-up, real-world applications and product lifecycle. Issues related to green chemistry, global regulation, and effects on human health and ecology will be explored. The "who is who" in the Biopolymers industry and research will be presented.
- Gain knowledge of scientific implications bio-based polymers vs. biodegradable polymers and examine their benefits/drawbacks
- Examine differences and similarities of biopolymer issues in medical and commodities industry applications
- Explore biopolymer synthesis and polymerization processes
- Obtain an overview of standards and regulations for biodegradability
- Understand issues related to sustainable practices for growing, collecting and processing bio feedstock
- Learn about optimizing biopolymer specific production issues such as fermentation and bio-specific catalysis processes,
- Explore the issues related to energy use and carbon footprint
- Gain a better understanding of material and physical properties of polymer molecules
- Learn about the current problems and their solutions, associated with obtaining novel biopolymer materials with unique and sophisticated properties
- Examine the issues related to biocompatibility
Meet our Experts
We couldn't be more thrilled with the amazing support and enthusiasm we've received from professionals all over the scientific community. Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are a critical part of the Sci-Mind™ experience and educational model. Ranging from a span of industrial sectors, they provide insight and guidance during content development, but also offer years of expertise via informal interaction within the community.
Dr. Sujata Bhatia
MD, PhD, Harvard University
Dr. Roya Khalil, FAIP
PhD (Chemical Engineering - Polymers), SPC Ardmona (Food Division of Coca Cola Amatil)
CEO, Educell Ltd.
National Institute of Chemistry Slovenia, CE PoliMat
PhD, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
PhD, MVP Modeling Solutions
Michigan Molecular Institute
Author of Plastics and Sustainability
NNFCC, The Bioeconomy Consultants
If you are interested in becoming involved in Sci-Mind™ as a content contributor or subject matter expert, please contact us.